It's all me, me, me...

My Photo
Vivre Sa Vie
London, United Kingdom
Well hello there. My name is Viv (well, it's not really), and, like a lot of people, I'm ever so slightly neurotic... I have panic attacks and anxiety (ranging from mild to pretty intense), on and off. I also have an amazing and quite high-profile job, so I'm choosing to remain anonymous on here. Not because I'm ashamed of the aforementioned neuroses, but because I don't want to be googled and for my colleagues to read bizarre posts about me breathing into a paper bag and popping lorazepam. I've worked for bookshops, mixed arts festivals and charities, and have met (and still meet!) a lot of famous, fetching and fantabulous people for my job. (See, anxiety doesn't need to stop you being AWESOME and doing what you want to do) Here's hoping you'll find some helpful hints and tips on here which will help you tackle the evil panic heebiejeebs... PS. I'm an Australian, but I live in the UK, and have adopted tea-drinking, pubs, Wodehouse, and a Welsh man.
View my complete profile
Friday 9 March 2012

Anxiety hero trading cards #2


#2 Charles Darwin

Yes, that's right - I said monkeys


Vital anxiety statistics: Apparently poor old Charlie was crippled by panic disorder and agoraphobia - who knew?! He wouldn't leave home without his wife, had a phobia of both crowds and being alone, and used to vomit for 24 hours continuously before he had any sort of speaking engagement (not great news for a world-famous academic and explorer with a pretty big theory to spread).

Career highlights: A little thing called 'evolution'. 'Nuff said.

Why he's an AWESOME anxiety hero: Ummm, evolution? Changing the entire face of human understanding, knowledge, science etc etc. That enough for you?

What you can learn from him: Having pretty powerful panic disorder does not need to stop you from penning one of the most important books ever written, voyaging round the world in a rickety ship, or going down in history as one of the greatest and revolutionary minds to ever have lived. And just think - they didn't even have Xanax then - shudder.

Best anxiety quote: 'Fear is often preceded by astonishment, and is so far akin to it, that both lead to the senses of sight and hearing being instantly aroused. In both cases the eyes and mouth are widely opened, and the eyebrows raised. The frightened man at first stands like a statue motionless and breathless, or crouches down as if instinctively to escape observation. The heart beats quickly and violently, so that it palpitates or knocks against the ribs... That the skin is much affected under the sense of great fear, we see in the marvellous manner in which perspiration immediately exudes from it... The hairs also on the skin stand erect; and the superficial muscles shiver. In connection witih the disturbed action of the heart, the breathing is hurried. The salivary glands act imperfectly; the mouth becomes dry, and is often opened and shut...'

Further reading: 'On the Origin of Species'. Or just look at some monkeys.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com